Thursday, February 2, 2012

Northern Pintail

Named for its long tail feather, the Northern Pintail is another less common duck that we were fortunate to see at the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary in Delta, BC. I'd only ever seen this as part of a mixed flock on large lakes, always at a distance and only seeing the long tail feather through my binoculars, so this was very special.
Two Pintail drakes showing off their breeding plumage. 
The Internet tells me that the Northern Pintail has been having some trouble making its way in the world today. It flies far and wide for its migration and is having trouble finding places to nest due to fewer wetlands and prairie to farm conversions. Hear more about it on birdnote.

What a nice tail feather you have!
I put these next two side by side because they so clearly illustrate that not only do I need a new camera, I clearly need Stephanie to operate it for me :). Look at the improved color and detailing on Steph's picture. That beak just shines and the brown is very warm. A very good looking bird! What do you think that suspicious glint in his eye is all about?

Pintail drake photo, courtesy of Stephanie Rossi
Pintail drake photo by Michele Leslie Potter
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment